Monday 7 November 2011

A Taste Of Lancashire: Wrapor

I am so happy to be featuring this lady as part of my A Taste of Lancashire feature.  Not only is the idea behind them great but having seen the pieces on a photoshoot, I can vouch for them being absolutely stunning!


Here is Kay, of Wrapor, to tell us a bit about herself and her unique designs.

My name is Kay McEllin, I am 43 and married with two boys aged 13 and 5. My business is Wrapor, it’s a small family business, we make unique bespoke wrap/shrugs and boleros and have been trading online for 4 years

Where did the name Wrapor come from?

Well, this is always a big decision when anyone starts a business. I was half way through a business course and was racking my brains for a suitable name. I wanted to use the word wrap in the name, and because the design is a cross between a wrap and a shrug, I combined the phrase “wrap or shrug” and then I registered Wraporshrug.co.uk as the domain name. I liked the word Wrapor too as I wanted it to suggest excellent customer services and the “rapport” I try my best to build with my customers.


 


















How did you get into making your beautiful pieces?

I have over 20 year experience in the bridal retail business, I made my own wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses (20 years ago next year… eek!!) I also worked in several bridal shops, carrying out fittings and alterations on ready made wedding dresses. I loved playing a huge part in making bride’s look and feel their very best. However, I found that although most of the dresses came with a wrap, the customers would often look awkward trying to keep them in place and they would end up tying them in a huge knot at the back to keep them on!

Several years later in 2007 a friend asked me to make her something to cover a small tattoo on her shoulder on her wedding day, a wrap was out of the question as it would just fall down. After a few attempts the Wrapor shrug was born. Kelly loved how the creation stayed in place without covering any detail on her dress, she wore it all day and into the evening and she looked and felt fabulous! I had a business idea! I was lucky to attend a short business course NES at MMU and afterwards started trading online as Wrapor.

 
















What styles and fabrics do the shrugs come in?

Oooh… any fabric you like! The range on the website includes satin, silk, chiffon, organza, faux fur, taffeta and tulle with or without sheer overlays, in a extensive range of colours and shades of white and ivory. Fabric can also be ordered in especially for each customer if our range of stock fabrics is unsuitable. We provide a fabric sample service so you can match the fabric up with your dress before your place your order. It is also helpful if you can send a fabric sample for us to match up with fabrics from our supplier.
 

 Why wear Wrapor a shrug or bolero on your wedding day?

The designs are ideal to keep the chill off in the cooler months. The faux fur shrug looks fabulous with any dress fabric and they are popular with brides and bridesmaids. We can also use a fleece lining inside the other fabrics for extra warmth.

Many of my customers feel a little exposed in a sleeveless dress, they may want to cover up for a religious ceremony or to cover imperfections due to weight loss etc. Others just like to add a little something to complete their outfit. Standard bolero jackets don’t suit everyone and can sometimes look rather shapeless, or frumpy, customers tell me that the simple elegant styling of the Wrapor is just what they have been looking for.


What has been the most popular design?

The organza and chiffon fabrics are very popular in the summer as they offer semi sheer coverage and will compliment most dress fabrics. The faux fur is very popular for Christmas and winter weddings.


www.joanne-spencer.co.uk
www.joanne-spencer.co.uk


Where can our readers meet you? And do you have a website?

Please visit the website: www.wraporshrug.co.uk to see the range available.
Email: kay@wraporshrug.co.uk, or ring 0161 432 1907 for a chat about our designs, or to request fabric samples.
I am hoping to be able to offer appointments to our clients from Jan 2012 onwards.

Lancashire Bride says: The fur shrugs are the reason why I would want a Winter Wedding, they're stunning and chic but practical at the same time. Wrapor are definitely one to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment