I'm no expert on social media but here's a few tips I've picked up in my short time on Twitter:
- Always include your website on your bio. Then tweeters who need you, know where to get hold of you.
- Your bio should also include what you do and what you tweet about then people know what to expect from you. They're also more likely to follow you.
- Retweets are important for your 'status.' Retweet when people ask for help, or promote offers etc and you'll get to be known as a useful and important tweeter.
- Be careful what you say. I've unfollowed several accounts that claim to be professional businesses yet tweet bitchy and unprofessional tweets. One popular twitterer, who didn't follow me back, once tweeted that if they weren't following you back it was because you were unimportant to me. That looks very professional to potential clients. I swiftly unfollowed.
- When I'm looking at a profile to decide whether to follow them or not there is a few things I look at to decide. I will only follow them if they are local or interested in the same things as me. I also look at how many followers they have and how many people they are following in return. Yes they may have 1000 followers but how many people are they following? If they are following a substantial amount more than they have in followers, it looks like they went on a following spree. Some would argue that it gives you an idea of how important they are. For example, Lord Sugar has nearly 1.5million followers but only follows 58 people.
And finally keep your tweets interesting and those followers will keep rolling in!